In Kaštel Sućurac stands the oldest defensive fortress built in 1392 by A. Gvaldo the archbishop of Split to protect peasants from the settlement Putalj which was situated on the slopes of Kozjak, near the little church of St. Juraj. Additional building formed a settlement by the sea.
Archbishop Averaldo built his summer residence in 1488, and castle gets its final form in 1509. The oldest center of Sućurac is Kaštilac, a yard of fortified palace – villa with the south wall opened by lavishly decorated windows in High Gothic style. Unlike other villages the square is here formed on the south side of the summer residence. Today, there is the exhibition room “Podvorje” where one part of archeological artifacts from Putalj is held.
Only the bell tower remained of the parish church built in 16th century after Allied bombing in 1943.
A transcript of Trpimir’s deed of donation written at Bijaći in front of St. Marta’s church on 3 March 852, is kept in the treasury of the new parish church as well as the old stone arch from Sućurac, other stone monuments, parts of wooden Baroque statues from the altar of the old parish church, large number of items made of silver and gold (religious objects and jewelry – parts of Kaštela folk costumes).
North of Kaštel Sućurac there is a church Gospe od Doca, today known as Gospe na Hladi. It was the parish church of a settlement called Sela. More to the north lie remains of a pre-Romanic church of St. Juraj od Putalja dating from 14th century which was a grant of duke Mislav with fragments of pleter decorations. The new church was built in 1927. Archeological surveys around the church and the nearby cemetery discovered a Roman and a pre-historic layer.
Kaštel Sućurac is the starting point of a marked mountain trail, which leads to Vela stina, the mountain house Putalj (480m), along a path to the Vrata saddle on the ridge of Kozjak and farther westbound over a plateau to the church of St. Luka (690 m).